Glenn Kelman, CEO at Redfin, talks about humility, leadership lessons, and Redfin's 14-year journey to IPO and beyond.
For extras, get my weekly email on Seattle startups.
Redfin was an overnight success. CEO Glenn Kelman has only been at it for 14 years :)
They took real estate online, had an IPO, and built a role model culture.
I got to chat with Glenn about his journey, how he thinks, and his leadership lessons from 14 years building Redfin. It turns out that having success in a giant market takes time, patience, and a good dose of humility. And knowing all the times that I've been a "total dufus" in my life, it's nice to know that even successful public company CEOs feel that way sometimes. And he even uses the word "dufus" freely!
Glenn shares his lessons on this episode of The Built in Seattle Podcast
- The ways Glenn reinvents himself and challenges himself with each stage of growth to become a new CEO every year.
- Why humility matters for leaders.
- The 14-year journey of building Redfin, the big mission, and why Glenn is more motivated than ever.
- Questions Glenn has asked role models and other leaders, how Glenn has taken in other perspectives and even changed his mind about some things!
- How Glenn is starting to think like an investor and allocator of capital.
- Glenn's lessons about managing board meetings and talking to shareholders.
- Building Redfin's company culture and leadership team for the long-term.
Glenn Kelman Bio
Glenn is the CEO of Redfin. Prior to joining Redfin, he was a co-founder of Plumtree Software, a Sequoia-backed, publicly traded company that created the enterprise portal software market. In his seven years at Plumtree, Glenn at different times led engineering, marketing, product management and business development; he also was responsible for financing and general operations in Plumtree's early days. Prior to starting Plumtree, Glenn worked as one of the first employees at Stanford Technology Group, a Sequoia-backed start-up acquired by IBM. Glenn was raised in Seattle and graduated from the University of California, Berkeley.